Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Take a Chance on Me

Scientific fact: I make the World's Best Brussels Sprouts.
No, really.

If you don't think you like Brussels sprouts because your mother forced them upon you as a child or whatever, you should really give them another shot.
Here are 3 reasons why:

1. They are super, super simple. No, really. You basically wash them, cut them, wash them, and stick them in the oven. How could that get any easier? Oh, that's right. It couldn't.

2. There's a 99.7% chance that the ingredients (minus the Brussels sprouts, unless you're like me and you purchase them in bulk) are already in the kitchen.

3. They're delicious, nutritious, and....did I mention delicious?

I made these to go with salmon and sweet potato fries on Saturday...and I would definitely classify the meal as a success.

Okay, here's what you need:

-An oven pre-heated to 400 degrees.
-One pound of Brussels sprouts
Note: The Guy and I can polish off a pound by ourselves. And we're only two people. I can actually eat a whole pound by myself and call it dinner. So, if you're more than two people or you're a glutton like me, maybe you want to double the recipe. Or triple it. Whatever.
-
Salt
-Pepper
-Olive oil

Wash the sprouts and cut the 'em in half.
Toss them on a baking sheet and drizzle them with some olive oil.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Swirl them around so that everything gets coated with everything else.
Throw them in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, maybe longer depending on how big the little suckers are.
Grab a fork.
Gobble them up.

I'm telling you, roasting them does something perfectly magical to Brussels sprouts. They get all brown and crunchy (secret: I OVERcook them sometimes because I loves me some slightly burned food). I've seen recipes that use things like maple syrup and bacon or pancetta, but I feel like simple is better. Because I don't eat meat and if I wanted maple syrup, I'd make pancakes.

If I have failed in convincing you, maybe Andrew Bernard can do the trick?*

from here
*Umm...I apologize for the lack of embededness(?) for the video. And also the fact that it's, you know, in a different language. Try as I might, I could NOT find it on YouTube. Thanks for ruining my life, NBC.

No comments: