Monday, September 20, 2010

A Challenge

Confession: I love food.

No, really. I do.

Doubt? Just look at a picture of me.

I love food.

Here's the fundamental issue with that, though: when one has a deep affection for all things epicurean, as I do, that passion often bleeds over into items that aren't necessarily worthy of such attention.
In other words, I've developed a nasty habit in which I eat for the sake of eating and not simply to enjoy food.

Well friends, we are going to SQUASH that habit here and now.

I can't lie; part of my motivation might be related to the fact that I've been unhappy with the way I look lately (weight, skin, hair, clothes...yuck). I believe that when you eat well, you feel well. At least that's true for me personally. Plus, I've found that when I eat good food from quality ingredients that taste delicious and aren't super-complicated, I'm less likely to reach for gross processed food to fill the void.

Basically, I've decided to follow the basic rules of good eating: lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, and protein in the form legumes, nuts, and tofu. Simple enough, right? I'm also going to stop drinking alcohol for 30 days (I know, we'll see how long THAT lasts) to see what the results will be. I predict a couple of pounds shed, followed by an increased amount of productivity (especially at work, where I'll have to learn to survive without my daily vodka-lemonade lunch. Just kidding! Kind of.)

On top of all this, I think Mollyland is going to eliminate processed and packaged foods, to the extent that my lifestyle will allow. I mean, I'm not going to make my own cheese, or anything. But I can probably bake my own bread (I've definitely done it before). And when I want macaroni and cheese, instead of reaching for a box, I'll have to get my butt off the couch and grate some cheddar and make it myself. If I'm too lazy to do it or too busy to go to the store and get the ingredients, then I probably don't need to be eating mac n' cheese in the first place.

All right. So, that's the plan.

One of the great things about deciding to make your own food is that there are about a billion places on the internet from which to draw inspiration. Behold:

TasteSpotting: one of my favorite new finds. It's full of beautiful, delicious-looking pictures of amazing food. And...Bonus! The pictures are linked to their original blogs, thereby offering more resources for yummy food. As a highly-visual person, this is basically like the internet form of crack-cocaine for my eyes.

Rookie Cookie: a big favorite around here. In addition to being a genius in the kitchen, Whitney is also hilarious.

CuisineNie: Stephanie Nielson. Good, simple food. Adorable.

Vegan Yum Yum
: Vegan food that doesn't taste like crap? Count me in. With beautiful pictures.



Okay, so now I guess I need to grocery shopping?

No comments: