Saturday, March 20, 2010

Back in the Day

I was inspired by this post, courtesy of Emily and her AH-mazing blog (but seriously, you shouldn't look at it unless you're willing to be super-depressed that you aren't skinny and beautiful and have an awesome boyfriend and awesome clothes and live in LA and take awesome pictures), regarding favorite childhood movies. And, since we all know that I suck at coming up with original ideas, I'm stealing...ahem....borrowing hers.

Because who doesn't have great taste in movies when they're six?

1. The Little Mermaid. This is the first movie I remember seeing in the movie theater. My Dad surprised me one Saturday by taking me. And let me tell you, going to the movies with your dad in kindergarten sans siblings is a huge deal. Huge. We also got it on VHS at some point, and my brother, sister, and I would dance around the living room screaming the lyrics to "Under the Sea" at the top of our lungs during the appropriate scene in the movie. Also, it is worth mentioning that shortly after my initial viewing of the film, I tried to give myself bangs with Fiskar's safety scissors and color my hair with a red Sharpie underneath the neighbor's kitchen table because I "wanted to be pretty like Ariel," successfully making myself look like I belonged in special ed. Yeah. That happened.


2. Pete's Dragon. An orphan boy. His pet green dragon that only he can see. Cartoon animation mixed in with a cast of real people. The song "Candle on the Water." MICKEY ROONEY AS AN ALCOHOLIC UNCLE. What is not fabulous about this movie? Answer: absolutely nothing.


3. Newsies. Somehow, my Mom discovered this on VHS at the library, and it swiftly became a full-blown obsession in our house. The soundtrack played nonstop, and I'm fairly certain that Mommy came to regret her decision. We now own it on DVD, so I can enjoy dancing teenage boys anytime I want. Err....that came out wrong.


4. Return to Oz. Creepy? Um, yes. But also kind of awesome. As those who know me best will attest, anything Oz-related makes my mouth water. And, when you're the little girl who watched the first movie so much that the tape eventually wore out, the prospect of a sequel the depicts life for Dorothy after she clicks her heels together three times is pretty wonderful indeed.


5. The Great Mouse Detective. If Sherlock Holmes were a mouse, this movie would be about him. But he's not, so it isn't. It's better. Because Sherlock Holmes doesn't sing. And this mouse dude? Totally does.


6. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (BBC Edition). Another memorable public library find (thanks Mom). The Siblings and I watched this weekly, at the very least. Personally? I think this version trumps the newer one- less CGI, fewer special effects, and all the magic of the book.


7. Commando. So, not exactly a kids movie. I'm aware. But this Arnold classic makes the list for the simple fact that this was the very first rated-R movie my Dad rented for us. I think I was about seven. You'd better believe that my mom was piiiiiissed.

8. To Kill a Mockingbird. Also not a kids movie. But, here's why it's a fave: when we were little, my Uncle Tom and Aunt Beth lived in an old farmhouse in West Liberty, Iowa. West Liberty was a happening place: the birthplace of our 31st president Mr. Herbert Hoover, home of the West Liberty public pool where you get yelled at by the lifeguards if you swim in between the diving boards, and corn. Lots and lots of corn. Did you know that sometimes it rains in Iowa? Well it does. And when it rains and the place you're visiting happens to be filled only with activities that can be done outside (in the middle of a cornfield, no less), it becomes necessary for children to find other things to entertain themselves with. "To Kill a Mockinbird" was, for some reason, the only movie we ever watched while spending time there. I'm not really sure why, but I think we all got better grades in freshman English because of it.


9. An American Tail. More mice. More musicals. I'm noticing a theme here. Now that I think about it, this movie has a lot of death and violence in it, particularly for a cartoon full of dancing rodents. It also contains a lot of rather adult symbolism regarding immigrants and Ellis Island and prejudice. Which I suppose is valuable, as is evident by the fact that my brother has never studied for a single history test in his life and still managed to get consistently get A's in the subject. As for myself, I just watched the movie for the song "There Are Not Cats in America." You should check it out and share in my love for it.


10. The Wizard of Oz. You knew it was coming. Don't even try to deny it.


Oh, and just in case you're wondering why I happen to be posting on a Saturday night...it's definitely not because I chose to come home after school today and watch "Mulan" on the Disney Channel with my cat instead of going out. Definitely DEFINITELY not.

No comments: