Thursday, August 26, 2010

Muzak

A'ight.
Remember how I was kinda sorta bitching about the lack of music in my life?
Well, let me say this: I have some pretty awesome friends.

First:
Eric (who doesn't have a blog because he's a Luddite, otherwise I would link him) was kind enough to take me to Lollapalooza a few weekends ago.
One word: EPIC.
The main focus of the trip was Greenday as a headliner (judge all you want...I happen to love them), but we also got to experience some other very cool bands. Observe:

Spoon- which is actually on my iPod, but not something I listen to on a regular basis. I guess I'll have to start because they are most satisfactory as musical entertainment.

Pheonix- they happened to be on almost the same time as Greenday, and while I wasn't about to miss a moment of that for anything other than death or dismemberment, we were able to hear some of their show. If you're not familiar, get acquainted. They do not disappoint.

Social Distortion- not exactly *new*, but new to me, I guess? I would've enjoyed hearing more or their performance, but I was occupied with the task of babysitting drunk people at the particular time of the night.

Slightly Stoopid- kind of Sublime wannabes, I think. But who doesn't likeSublime? That's right. Nobody doesn't like Sublime.

We also had the good fortune to hear Wolfgang Gartner, a DJ who was pretty rockin'. I would've liked to have seen Arcade Fire, MGMT, and Peanut Butter Wolf but I had to work earlier in the day so that didn't happen. At least I've got some good inspiration for some new tunes. Ya dig?


Second:

Speaking of DJs and being awesome, something you may or may not know about me is that I happen to lurve Girl Talk. I'm trying to get away from the trap of Top 40 songs and the crap you have to wade through to find the one decent artist, but Girl Talk makes all that exponentially more tolerable by mixing current, popular songs into one continuous track and meshing them all together to create one gigantic amazing song.
Now that we've taken care of that, I shall move on to the point of Part II of my super-cool music story. A good friend of mine, who is a DJ, gave me a copy of a disc he made using the same concept, only with older hip-hop songs. I'm not too familiar with the hip-hop genre (I grew up on the North Shore, what do you want from me?), but I have to say that I find this CD perfectly incredible. I wish that I had the vision and creative mind to listen to a bunch of songs and then smush them all together to create something...well, something that's even something at all. So, I've been jamming to that a lot lately, too.

Third:
Some very, very generous soul (you know who you are) found it in their hearts to burn me a few discs (and by a few I mean SIX, plus a copy of the new season of The IT Crowd) of some music they thought I would like:
Yeasayer- "All Hour Symbols" & "Odd Blood"
Hot Chip- "The Warning"
Gorillaz- "Plastic Beach"
LCD Soundsystem- "This is Happening"
Gang of Four- "Solid Gold"
I'll let you know how it all works out, but I've got a good feeling about these.


That's two stagnant areas down, three to go.
Any volunteers for wardrobe advice, artistic inspiration, or nutritional suggestions?
Currently accepting applications.

No comments: