Sunday, March 27, 2011

Technical Difficulties

The last couple of days have been difficult.
Well, more difficult than usual.

My sister is in Australia
.
In case you didn't know.
Australia is halfway across the world.
In case you didn't know.

I miss my sister a lot.
But the last couple of days?
I have missed her extra.
I guess maybe things have just been a little bit more difficult for these few days?
I'm not sure.
I just know that I miss her.

I wish she were here.
Or I wish that I were there.
I'm not sure.
I just wish we were together.

I think I'm supposed to pretend like she's still away at school.
But that's just three hours away.
This is about three billion miles away.
It feels like another universe.

I'm sure I sound stupid.
In fact, I know I sound stupid.

Janie is having the time of her life right now.
She's soaking up every beautiful moment of life over there.
I know she is.
That's what she does.
What kind of sister would I be if I tried to deprive her of that experience.

We've been through a lot together, my sister and I.
We've been around the world.
We've built houses.
We've seen lots of amazing things.

And then I found this blog.
This beautiful blog, written by a beautiful woman.
A woman who lost her little sister and her brother-in-law in a car accident.
And then, through all her grief and anguish, took her infant niece in to her home.
Making it her mission to create a happy, safe, loving environment for her two biological children, and her sister's orphaned daughter.
All the while, never forgetting her sister.

I guess I know now that I'm not crazy.
Crazy for missing my sister so much that sometimes it hurts.
I also know how lucky we all are.
Every day is a gift.
Even if we can't always spend it with the people we love.
But that doesn't mean that our love for them ever fades.


Janie and I napping on a bus in El Salvador.

Hurry home, little sister.
It's not the same without you.

No comments: